The history of Bonfim Church dates back to the mid-eighteenth century. In 1840’s it was created a way of the cross that would united a small chapel dedicated to Saint Joseph, located in Campo de Mijavelhas (actual Campo 24 de Agosto) to the top of Godim’s hill (area where the Bonfim Church is located). In the terminus of the way of the cross there was a wood cross dedicated to Senhor Jesus do Bonfim and Boa Morte, however the exposure to the elements degraded it deeply. In 1743, Bishop of Porto had approved the construction of a small chapel to harbour the cross that was substituted by one of stone. However there was no money to construct the chapel so it was delayed until a woman named Maria Pinta gave the money for its construction. Some years later, the number of devotees had increased and it was necessary to build a new church. This new construction began in 1774 and ended in 1786. In 1803 the Benedictine painter José Teixeira Barreto offered Santa Clara relics. In the nineteenth century, with the creation of the Parish of Bonfim (1841) and the demographic growth led to the necessity to build a new temple. The construction of the actual Bonfim Church began on 7th of September of 1874. The project drawn by José Luís Nogueira Júnior and António Sardinha was implemented in 1894, when the main façade of the church and its south tower were completed. The north tower was completed in 1902 by João Gonçalves de Oliveira Torres. Bonfim Church has a neoclassical style and is one of the most beautiful and majestic churches of the city of Porto (Source: Jorge Ricardo Pinto (2011), Bonfim - Território de Memórias e Destinos).
Address: Rua Monte do Bonfim, no. 72, 4300-350 Porto
GPS coordinates: 41.1513876, -8.5928278
Opening hours: Monday to Saturday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. | Sunday and Public holidays: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Contacts: (+351) 225 899 690 | (+351) 964 931 404 | email@example.com
Accessible to people with reduced mobility: No