Prado do Repouso Cemetery
In the 21st of September 1835, a decree law that expressly required the construction of public cemeteries in all towns of Portugal was signed. In Porto and in other places of Portugal people didn’t reacted quite well to this decision because Catholics were buried inside the churches and not outside. However, the population growth made churches small for an increasing amount of burials, leading to unhealthy situations and inclusively to the spread of epidemics, such as cholera. Due to this, the construction of a public cemetery in Porto was seen as a top priority. The place chosen for its construction was «Quinta do Padro do Bispo», a sixteenth-century property that met the requirements considered ideal for the construction of a cemetery. After a few months of work and earthmoving, Prado do Repouso Cemetery was inaugurated in 1839. Considered as an open-air museum, this cemetery includes one of the best art collections of the city of Porto, bringing together works by renowned artists such as Soares dos Reis. There are also numerous buildings with historical and artistic value, built at the request of personalities of Porto that lie there (Source: Jorge Ricardo Pinto (2011), Bonfim - Território de Memórias e Destinos).
Address: Largo do Padre Baltazar Guedes, s/n, 4300-059 Porto
GPS coordinates: 41.1416587, -8.5954994
Opening hours: Everyday from 8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m
Contacts: (+351) 225 379 925
Accessible to people with reduced mobility: Yes